I've always enjoyed knitting cowls (here and here), but I have a few of my own and couldn't quite justify knitting yet another one. So when my friend Sally asked me to knit her a cowl, I was happy for an excuse to make another one.
I started knitting some mittens with size 1 needles in the Fall. And so far I've completed 1 that's a little too small for me. I'll finish the other one eventually, but this cowl was a welcome distraction.
I almost decided to keep this cowl for myself...the yarn is so soft! And I love the herringbone pattern. But I did mail it...I have an extra skein that I didn't use, so maybe I'll find something soft and cozy to make for myself.
It took me a while to get the hang of the pattern, but once I did, it was fairly easy. That's not to say that I didn't make any mistakes. I had to go back and repair a few dropped stitches after I finished, but they weren't too visible.
This pattern is hard to troubleshoot when you make a mistake. I didn't realize I had holes until I had finished it.
The other mistake I made was when casting off. At first, I did it too lightly...then, I pulled the stitches too tightly, resulting in an uneven cast off.
Instead of undoing it, I finished the cast off and then crocheted a border around it to hide the uneven border. Not ideal, but a decent solution.
So not perfect, but functional and soft and a cool pattern.
I used Malabrigo Merino Worsted Wool in a neutral color called Chapel Stone.
Stay tuned for some more projects...I'll finish those mittens soon and I also have a baby blanket on my needles to post about soon!